AAEM Young Physicians Section (YPS-AAEM) membership is open to emergency medicine residency-trained Fellow-in-Training, Associate or Full Voting members of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine who are within the first five years of professional practice after residency or fellowship training.
Opening Soon | Call for YPS-AAEM Section Council Nominations
The YPS-AAEM Section election is democratic – YOU nominate and elect your leaders! YPS-AAEM is seeking nominations from YPS-AAEM members for the 2023-24 Council term. If you know someone who will be a great leader for YPS-AAEM, nominate them when YPS-AAEM Leadership Nominations open!
Self-nominations are allowed and encouraged!
Nominations Open: Tuesday, January 3, 2023
Nominations Close: Monday, February 23, 2023
The Chair-Elect is elected by the section membership for a one year term. The Chair-Elect is responsible for:
- Running and attending Section Council and Membership meetings in the absence of the Chair
- Assisting with managing the Section
- Promoting the AAEM mission by increasing Section membership through recruiting new members
- Developing valuable engaging member benefits for attendings.
- Attend the bimonthly Section Leadership Committee meeting
- Must be an AAEM member in good standing
- Upon completion of the term, the Chair-Elect ascends to the role of Section Chair.
The Secretary/Finance Chair is responsible for:
- Overseeing the finances and membership of the Section and attend Section Council and Membership meetings
- Posting a short summary following Council meetings highlighting action, invitation and engagement items for members on MyAAEM and/or monthly newsletter
- Engaging Section members through developing valuable member benefits and communicating with members via MyAAEM, email, social media and other resources
- Must be an AAEM member in good standing.
The number of Councilors for each Section are defined by the bylaws. Councilors are responsible for:
- Attending Section Council meetings (minimum 75% of meetings)
- Serving as the workgroup lead for one or more activities/initiatives and/or events
- Completing objectives by accepting task assignments and meeting deadlines
- Participating in discussion and offer constructive criticism, as well as suggestions for future activities
- Must be an AAEM member in good standing.
The number of Resident/Student Representatives for each Section are defined in the bylaws. Resident/Student Representatives are responsible for:
- Attending Section Council & Membership meetings
- Assisting with organizing webinars, networking and mentorship opportunities to recruit, engage, and sustain students and residents in the Section
- Providing regular summaries and report-outs to the AAEM/RSA Board of Directors
- Must be an AAEM/RSA member in good standing.
The representative is nominated by the AAEM/RSA Section Council and approved by the Section Executive Council.
YPS Council Meetings
YPS Council Meetings are held on the 1st Tuesday every other month.
Upcoming Meetings: December 6 | February 7 | April 4
10:00am ET | 9:00am CT | 8:00am MT | 7:00am PT
Meetings are open to YPS members.
About the Young Physicians Section
YPS Leadership, Election Information, Bylaws
Become a part of the Young Physicians Section for FREE!
Get involved with a YPS Work Group
CV and Cover Letter Review
Extra Eyes on Your CV and Cover Letter
Available to YPS members and graduating residents. All requests will be reviewed by a YPS board member within two weeks of submission.
YPS Mentoring Program
Advice and Career Guidance
We invite you to take advantage of this exciting opportunity to interact with your peers and become invested in your future. Mentors are members from different regions of the U.S. and include those actively involved in community practice as well as academic emergency medicine.
YPS Articles in Common Sense
Submit an Article for the Official AAEM Magazine
YPS is actively seeking new authors to publish articles in Common Sense.
Rules of the Road for Young Physicians
Multimedia Guide to Life After Residency
Written for emergency physicians in their first five years of practice after residency, this book is a continuation of the Rules of the Road series already available for medical students and residents.
YPS Podcast Collaboration with AAEM/RSA
Podcast Episodes Featuring Young Physicians
Listen to podcast episodes with the AAEM Resident and Student Association (AAEM/RSA) and YPS-AAEM.