AAEM is committed to provide for all patients needing emergency care by each and every emergency department without regard to economic ability, insurance or payor status. Emergency physicians provide this care 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and the AAEM calls upon employers, third party payers and managed care organizations to support AAEM and its membership in this important public safety mission with the following commitments:
- The determination of a bona fide emergency medical condition can only be made at the time of treatment.
- The diagnostic evaluation, ancillary testing and procedures conducted while a patient is being treated in the emergency department is the responsibility of the emergency physician.
- The treating and responsible emergency physician on site must be able to determine the appropriate disposition of a patient presenting with an emergency medical condition, including the hospital, based upon medical considerations.
- Appropriate reimbursement will be provided for services rendered to patients in the emergency department.
- The intent as well as the letter of federal law will be observed in meeting the expectations of the citizens of this country for emergency care.