Emergency Medicine Antibiotic Stewardship Pledge
As an emergency care provider, I commit to being a frontline champion for antibiotic stewardship to improve patient
safety and decrease the spread of antibiotic resistance. This includes the following specific pledges:
- I will seek out educational opportunities to update my knowledge around best practices for antibiotic prescribing.
- I will provide timely, broad-spectrum antibiotics to patients with bacterial sepsis.
- I will avoid antibiotic prescribing for non-responsive respiratory tract conditions (e.g., influenza, common cold, bronchitis).
- I will discuss any diagnostic uncertainty and present both risks and benefits to patients before prescribing antibiotics.
- I will avoid routine urine cultures and antibiotic prescribing for patients with asymptomatic bacteriuria.
- I will ensure that those practicing under my direct supervision (e.g., residents, advanced practice providers) adhere to antibiotic stewardship principles.