The Women in Emergency Medicine Section (WiEMS-AAEM) is constituted with a vision of equity for AAEM women in emergency medicine and a purpose to champion the recruitment, retention, and advancement of women in emergency medicine through the pillars of advocacy, leadership, and education.
WiEMS-AAEM Pillars of Purpose
Learn more about our purpose of WiEMS-AAEM and join one of our Work Groups!
Women’s Wisdom Podcast
Our podcast highlights the journeys of prominent women emergency physicians.
About Women in Emergency Medicine Section
The Women in Emergency Medicine Section (WiEMS-AAEM) is constituted with a vision of equity for AAEM women in emergency medicine and a purpose to champion the recruitment, retention and advancement of women in emergency medicine through the pillars of advocacy, leadership, and education. Membership is not limited to women physicians. All emergency medicine practitioners passionate about the mission of WiEMS-AAEM are welcome to join and participate. This group will work closely with the AAEM Resident and Student Association (AAEM/RSA) to provide mentorship to medical students, and residents who are interested in emergency medicine.
The AAEM Women in Emergency Medicine Section is comprised of members identifying across the gender spectrum and it is our mission to:
- Advocate for measures to reduce or eliminate gender-related bias, including gender parity in salary and equity with promotions.
- Aim to provide increased leadership opportunities within AAEM and the WiEMS-AAEM Section.
- Recognize and amplify the accomplishments of women.
- Provide gender-specific resources for professional advancement, work life balance, and different career trajectories.
- Commit to providing greater depth of professional connections and mentorship across a career timeline.
Danielle E. Goodrich, MD FAAEM
Molly Estes, MD FAAEM
Cara Kanter, MD FAAEM
Immediate Past Chair
Vonzella Bryant, MD FAAEM
Jennifer McGowan, MD FAAEM
Mary McLean, MD
Elspeth Pearce, MD FAAEM
Sulynn Walker MD FAAEM
Kraftin E. Schreyer, MD MBA FAAEM
You must be a current AAEM or AAEM/RSA member to join a section.
- Fellow or Full Voting ($50)
- Associate ($25)
- Fellows-in-Training ($25)
- International ($25)
- Resident (Free)
- Medical Student (Free)
Section memberships run on a calendar year and must be renewed annually.
- Opportunity to have articles published in the WiEMS-AAEM section of the AAEM magazine, Common Sense
- Opportunity to participate in the Women’s Wisdom: Our Journey in Emergency Medicine Podcast Series
- Join our Facebook Group
Wellness Committee Storytelling Webinar: The Invisible Work of Women in EM and its Impact on Mental HealthThe AAEM Wellness Committee invites physicians to attend the book club meeting that will be discussing a book titled “Maybe You Should Talk to Someone” – an initiative for National Physician Suicide Awareness.
Watch recordings from past WiEMS-AAEM events:
Read articles from AAEM’s member magazine, Common Sense, authored by WiEMS-AAEM members.
- WiEM 2023: Looking to the Future by Danielle Goodrich, MD FAAEM FACEP, May/June 2023
- To Typify an Ally: Ways to be a Male Advocate for Women by Deanna Margius, MD, January/February 2023
- Imposter Syndrome by Danielle Goodrich, MD FAAEM FACEP and Molly Estes, MD FAAEM FACEP, November/December 2022
- Abortion is Health Care by Liz Calhoun, MD, FAAEM, September/October 2022
- What are You Saying “No” to When You Continue to Work? (eh) by Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM, July/August 2023
- Human Trafficking and Natural Disasters by Myra Khushbakht, BS, Karin Brown, MS, Catherine Wertz, BA, Jennifer Reyes, DO FAAEM, Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM, and Loice Swisher, MD MAAEM FAAEM, May/June 2022
- A Q&A with Dr. Gillian Battino: A Physician Running for the US Senate for the State of Wisconsin by Danielle Goodrich MD FAAEM FACEP and Molly Estes MD FAAEM FACEP, January/February 2022
- Infertility: Using Knowledge to Advocate for Change, by Danielle Goodrich, MD FAAEM FACEP, November/December 2021
- WiEMS Awards by Loice Swisher, MD MAAEM FAAEM, September/October 2021
- “…And I took the road [far too much] traveled.” by Emily Dawra (MS3) and Sarah Jacobs (MS2), September/October 2021
- How to Increase Your Effectiveness in Committee Representation and Leadership by Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM and Loice A. Swisher, MD MAAEM FAAEM, July/August 2021
- Why I Decided to participate in a COVID-19 Vaccine Trial – A Reminder that Diversity in Medicine Cannot be an After-Thought by Tessa Haspil-Corgan, MD FACEP FAAEM, May/June 2021
- I Was a Witness, and Now am Haunted by the Ghosts of Other Mothers’ Sons by Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM, March/April 2021
- “Thank you, Dr. C:” The Stigma of the F-Word (Fertility) by Maria L. Sturchler, MD EdD, January/February 2021