The Women in Emergency Medicine Section (WiEMS-AAEM) is constituted with a vision of equity for AAEM women in emergency medicine and a purpose to champion the recruitment, retention, and advancement of women in emergency medicine through the pillars of advocacy, leadership, and education.
Shape the Future of AAEM – Nominate a Leader Today
The AAEM Section elections are a testament to our democratic values, empowering YOU to choose your leaders. As we gear up for the 2024-25 Council term, we’re calling on all Section members to participate actively.
Nominations Close: February 27, 2024Learn More
WiEMS-AAEM Pillars of Purpose
Learn more about our purpose of WiEMS-AAEM and join one of our Work Groups!
Women’s Wisdom Podcast
Our podcast highlights the journeys of prominent women emergency physicians.
Latest Webinar Recording
Watch “Just Conversation”, a WiEM-AAEM Webinar discussing coworker conversations.
About Women in Emergency Medicine Section
The Women in Emergency Medicine Section (WiEMS-AAEM) is constituted with a vision of equity for AAEM women in emergency medicine and a purpose to champion the recruitment, retention and advancement of women in emergency medicine through the pillars of advocacy, leadership, and education. Membership is not limited to women physicians. All emergency medicine practitioners passionate about the mission of WiEMS-AAEM are welcome to join and participate. This group will work closely with the AAEM Resident and Student Association (AAEM/RSA) to provide mentorship to medical students, and residents who are interested in emergency medicine.
The AAEM Women in Emergency Medicine Section is comprised of members identifying across the gender spectrum and it is our mission to:
- Advocate for measures to reduce or eliminate gender-related bias, including gender parity in salary and equity with promotions.
- Aim to provide increased leadership opportunities within AAEM and the WiEMS-AAEM Section.
- Recognize and amplify the accomplishments of women.
- Provide gender-specific resources for professional advancement, work life balance, and different career trajectories.
- Commit to providing greater depth of professional connections and mentorship across a career timeline.
Danielle E. Goodrich, MD FAAEM
Molly Estes, MD FAAEM
Cara Kanter, MD FAAEM
Immediate Past Chair
Vonzella Bryant, MD FAAEM
Jennifer McGowan, MD FAAEM
Mary McLean, MD
Elspeth Pearce, MD FAAEM
Sulynn Walker MD FAAEM
Kraftin E. Schreyer, MD MBA FAAEM
You must be a current AAEM or AAEM/RSA member to join a section.
- Full Voting ($50)
- Associate ($25)
- Fellow-in-Training ($25)
- International ($25)
- Resident (Free)
- Medical Student (Free)
Section memberships run on a calendar year and must be renewed annually.
- Opportunity to have articles published in the WiEMS-AAEM section of the AAEM magazine, Common Sense
- Opportunity to participate in the Women’s Wisdom: Our Journey in Emergency Medicine Podcast Series
- Join our Facebook Group
At this year’s Scientific Assembly, WiEMS-AAEM will be offering three awards to honor deserving AAEM members who are champions for the promotion of gender diversity within the field of emergency medicine. These awards are not just a form of recognition; they are a vital part of AAEM’s ongoing commitment to fostering leadership and advancing gender diversity in emergency medicine. By nominating one of your colleagues, you’re not only allowing them to be celebrated for their significant contributions on a national stage but also highlighting the critical role that gender diversity plays in enriching our field.
Nomination Deadline: February 27th at 11:59pm CT
2024 WiEMS Award Categories
The Gender Diversity Award
This award recognizes an emergency medicine physician who has advanced gender diversity in the field. Nominees for this award have served as an ally to women, gender non-binary, and transgender physicians and advocated for their promotion within AAEM. Nominees must be AAEM members.
The Norton Award*
This award recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to AAEM and/or community service. Nominees for this award must have had 10 or more years’ experience in an EM community position and must be AAEM members.
The Young Leader Award
This award recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to AAEM in leadership. Nominees for this award must have 10 or fewer years’ experience in an EM leadership position and must be AAEM Women in Emergency Medicine Section members.
*New award category in 2024.Nominate Now
Previous WiEMS-AAEM Award Winners
The Gender Diversity Award
- 2023 | Ana Maria Navio Serrano, MD PhD
- 2022 | Kimberly M. Brown, MD MPH FAAEM
- 2021 | Megan Healy, MD FAAEM
The Young Leader Award
- 2023 | Cara Kanter, MD FAAEM
- 2022 | Kraftin E. Schreyer, MD MBA FAAEM
- 2021 | Molly K. Estes, MD FAAEM
IMG SymposiumAn AAEM/RSA, WiEM-AAEM, and AAEM International Committee webinar More information coming soon! Talk Topics Speakers Moderator Registration Advance registration is strongly encouraged. Secure your spot at the webinar by registering today.
Watch recordings from past WiEMS-AAEM events:
Read articles from AAEM’s member magazine, Common Sense, authored by WiEMS-AAEM members.
- First, Do No Harm, January/February 2024
- WiEM 2023: Looking to the Future by Danielle Goodrich, MD FAAEM FACEP, May/June 2023
- To Typify an Ally: Ways to be a Male Advocate for Women by Deanna Margius, MD, January/February 2023
- Imposter Syndrome by Danielle Goodrich, MD FAAEM FACEP and Molly Estes, MD FAAEM FACEP, November/December 2022
- Abortion is Health Care by Liz Calhoun, MD, FAAEM, September/October 2022
- What are You Saying “No” to When You Continue to Work? (eh) by Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM, July/August 2023
- Human Trafficking and Natural Disasters by Myra Khushbakht, BS, Karin Brown, MS, Catherine Wertz, BA, Jennifer Reyes, DO FAAEM, Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM, and Loice Swisher, MD MAAEM FAAEM, May/June 2022
- A Q&A with Dr. Gillian Battino: A Physician Running for the US Senate for the State of Wisconsin by Danielle Goodrich MD FAAEM FACEP and Molly Estes MD FAAEM FACEP, January/February 2022
- Infertility: Using Knowledge to Advocate for Change, by Danielle Goodrich, MD FAAEM FACEP, November/December 2021
- WiEMS Awards by Loice Swisher, MD MAAEM FAAEM, September/October 2021
- “…And I took the road [far too much] traveled.” by Emily Dawra (MS3) and Sarah Jacobs (MS2), September/October 2021
- How to Increase Your Effectiveness in Committee Representation and Leadership by Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM and Loice A. Swisher, MD MAAEM FAAEM, July/August 2021
- Why I Decided to participate in a COVID-19 Vaccine Trial – A Reminder that Diversity in Medicine Cannot be an After-Thought by Tessa Haspil-Corgan, MD FACEP FAAEM, May/June 2021
- I Was a Witness, and Now am Haunted by the Ghosts of Other Mothers’ Sons by Marianne Haughey, MD FAAEM, March/April 2021
- “Thank you, Dr. C:” The Stigma of the F-Word (Fertility) by Maria L. Sturchler, MD EdD, January/February 2021