The Women in Emergency Medicine (WiEM) Section is constituted with a vision of equity for AAEM women in emergency medicine and a purpose to champion the recruitment, retention, and advancement of women in emergency medicine through the pillars of advocacy, leadership, and education.
Opening Soon | Call for WiEM-AAEM Section Council Nominations
The WiEM-AAEM Section election is democratic – YOU nominate and elect your leaders! WiEM-AAEM is seeking nominations from WiEM-AAEM members for the 2023-24 Council term. If you know someone who will be a great leader for WiEM-AAEM, nominate them when WiEM-AAEM Leadership Nominations open!
Self-nominations are allowed and encouraged!
Nominations Open: Tuesday, January 3, 2023
Nominations Close: Monday, February 23, 2023
The Chair-Elect is elected by the section membership for a one year term. The Chair-Elect is responsible for:
- Running and attending Section Council and Membership meetings in the absence of the Chair
- Assisting with managing the Section
- Promoting the AAEM mission by increasing Section membership through recruiting new members
- Developing valuable engaging member benefits for attendings.
- Attend the bimonthly Section Leadership Committee meeting
- Must be an AAEM member in good standing
- Upon completion of the term, the Chair-Elect ascends to the role of Section Chair.
The Secretary/Finance Chair is responsible for:
- Overseeing the finances and membership of the Section and attend Section Council and Membership meetings
- Posting a short summary following Council meetings highlighting action, invitation and engagement items for members on MyAAEM and/or monthly newsletter
- Engaging Section members through developing valuable member benefits and communicating with members via MyAAEM, email, social media and other resources
- Must be an AAEM member in good standing.
The number of Councilors for each Section are defined by the bylaws. Councilors are responsible for:
- Attending Section Council meetings (minimum 75% of meetings)
- Serving as the workgroup lead for one or more activities/initiatives and/or events
- Completing objectives by accepting task assignments and meeting deadlines
- Participating in discussion and offer constructive criticism, as well as suggestions for future activities
- Must be an AAEM member in good standing.
Resident/Student Representative (2)
The number of Resident/Student Representatives for each Section are defined in the bylaws. Resident/Student Representatives are responsible for:
- Attending Section Council & Membership meetings
- Assisting with organizing webinars, networking and mentorship opportunities to recruit, engage, and sustain students and residents in the Section
- Providing regular summaries and report-outs to the AAEM/RSA Board of Directors
- Must be an AAEM/RSA member in good standing.
The representatives are nominated and elected by membership.
The Women in Emergency Medicine Section of AAEM was created to champion the recruitment, retention, and advancement of women in emergency medicine through the pillars of advocacy, leadership, and education. WiEM-AAEM is pleased to announce our call for section award nominations.
This year, we are offering two awards to honor deserving AAEM members who are champions for the promotion of gender diversity within the field of emergency medicine. By nominating one of your worthy colleagues, you’re allowing them to be celebrated for their significant contributions.
You don't have to be a Women in Emergency Medicine Section member to submit nominations - any AAEM or AAEM/RSA member can nominate someone!
The Emerald: Young Leader Award
This award recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to AAEM in leadership. Nominees for this award must have 10 or less years of experience in an EM leadership position and be current WiEM-AAEM members.
The Ruby: Gender Diversity Award
This award recognizes an emergency medicine physician who has advanced gender diversity in the field. Nominees for this award have served as an ally to women, gender non-binary, and transgender physicians and advocated for their promotion within AAEM. Nominees must be current AAEM members.
Nominations Open: December 1, 2022
Nominations Close: January 31, 2023
Virtual Mentoring Sessions for Osteopathic Medical Students: Wine Down with WiEM-AAEM
Tuesday, December 6, 2022 | 5:00pm PT / 6:00pm MT / 7:00pm CT / 8:00pm ET
IMG Student Webinar Mentoring Series: Hot Cocoa Chat: How to Get Involved in EM Early On
Tuesday, December 12, 2022 | 5:00pm PT / 6:00pm MT / 7:00pm CT / 8:00pm ET
About the Women in Emergency Medicine Section
The WiEM Section Leadership, Election Information, and Bylaws
FREE Membership and Mentorship
Become a part of the Women in Emergency Medicine Section for FREE!
Get involved with a Women in Emergency Medicine Section Work Group
Advocating for Equality and Fairness
The WiEM Section holds the organization accountable for equity and advocates and problem solves for issues of justice, transparency, and equity in the workplace.
Creating Opportunities for and Recognition of Women Leaders in EM
The WiEM Section offer professional development opportunities and sponsorship to advance women to leadership positions within AAEM and their home institutions in addition to creating networking opportunities.
Bringing Awareness and Solutions to Issues Affecting Women in EM
The WiEM Section shines a light on issues affecting women in EM and important topics for women in EM, builds mentoring systems for females in EM, and develops and presents educational content, and that highlights issues of equity and focuses on creating solutions for the gender bias in medicine.