Speaker Development Group
The Speaker Development Group matches emerging interested individuals who would like to be national speakers with a mentor who is a nationally recognized AAEM speaker. The goal for the Speaker Development Group is to help mentees become confident, polished and engaged speakers.
The goal of the AAEM Speaker Development Group is to help mentees become a confident, polished, and engaged speaker. The Speaker Development Group relationship is mentee led. The Mentors have said, “If you want to get better at speaking, I’m here for you.”
Program Dates: June 1, 2019 - June 1, 2020
Dr. Amal Mattu, MD FAAEM speaks with Dr. Kevin Reed, MD FAAEM and Dr. Evie Marcolini, MD FAAEM FCCM, active members on the AAEM Education Committee. Drs. Reed and Marcolini share more information on the program and tips for applying.
To be eligible as a mentee, the individual should have:
- Demonstrated initiative – The ideal candidate would lead and value the mentor relationship and take responsibility for at least four communication touch-points within the year and follow-up with mentor using available resources (Skype, videos, streaming, etc.) if not matched within close geographical area.
- Current AAEM membership – participation in the AAEM Speaker Development Group is a member benefit.
- No formal speaking experience or training required.
The Speaker Development Group leadership selects nationally recognized AAEM speakers to serve as mentors.
Mentee Benefits and Expectations
- Guidance and direction from a highly respected, AAEM nationally recognized speaker to enhance speaking skills and content
- Quarterly check-ins with your mentor
- Quarter 1: Set goals and get initial guidance for speaking engagements
- Quarter 2: Receive feedback on a past speaking engagement
- Quarter 3: Guidance on topics to pursue and tips for presentation and speaking improvements
- Quarter 4: Give newly improved presentation and discuss next steps
- Mentees are encouraged and responsible for keeping in contact with their mentors outside of the quarterly check-ins
What Past Participants Have Shared
- “Mike Winters provided excellent feedback and advice for a recent lecture at an outside institution.”
- “Dr. Mattu is a world-class speaker, and his willingness to help develop future speakers is awesome.”
- “Connecting with and working with rising speakers. Great fun.” (Mentor quote)
- “The direct access to experienced speaking experts is a definite highlight of the program. Mike Winters was very approachable and gave excellent advice.”
1) Complete the application form.
Fill out the application form found here.
2) Submit a video.
Applicants are required to submit a video with the following information:
- Your name and institution and a brief summary of your training and passion in emergency medicine
- Previous speaking experience
- Mentoring experience or summary on what have you done to improve your public speaking skills
- Expectations/what you hope to gain from the Speaker Development Group
The video should be no more than 4 minutes in length.
Upload Deadline: June 24, 2019
3) Submit a proposal to speak at AAEM20.
Visit the AAEM20 website to learn more and complete the educational proposal form found here.
4) Complete a reading summary.
Applicants are required to read “Secrets of Successful Speakers: How You Can Motivate, Captivate, and Persuade” by Lilly Walters and provide a summary of three take-aways. Submit summaries via email to Kathy Uy, MS CMP, AAEM Senior Meetings Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Kathy Uy, AAEM Senior Meetings Manager at email@example.com or 800-884-2236.