Speaker Development Group
The Speaker Development Group matches emerging interested individuals who would like to be national speakers with a mentor who is a nationally recognized AAEM speaker. The goal for the Speaker Development Group is to help mentees become confident, polished, and engaged speakers.
The Speaker Development Group relationship is mentee led. The Mentors have said, “If you want to get better at speaking, I’m here for you.”
Nominations for the 2020-2021 program are now closed.
Program Dates: June 1, 2020 - June 1, 2021
Dr. Amal Mattu, MD FAAEM speaks with Dr. Kevin Reed, MD FAAEM and Dr. Evie Marcolini, MD FAAEM FCCM, active members on the AAEM Education Committee. Drs. Reed and Marcolini share more information on the program and tips for applying.
To be eligible as a mentee, the individual should have:
- Demonstrated initiative – The ideal candidate would lead and value the mentor relationship and take responsibility for at least four communication touch-points within the year and follow-up with mentor using available resources (Skype, videos, streaming, etc.) if not matched within close geographical area.
- Current AAEM membership – participation in the AAEM Speaker Development Group is a member benefit.
- No formal speaking experience or training required.
The Speaker Development Group leadership selects nationally recognized AAEM speakers to serve as mentors.
- June 1-July 13: Candidate Application portal open
- July 13-31: Candidates read text assignment
- July 31: Candidate Book Summary due
- August: Committee Review and Match Candidates
- September-October: Phase 1: Idea Set
- October-November: Phase 2: Slide Design
- November-December: Phase 3: Delivery and Review of Presentation
- December-January: Phase 4: 2nd delivery and Review of Presentation
- January 18: ~Milestone~ Go/No Go confirmation for speaking at AAEM21 Scientific Assembly*
- February 12: Mentee to confirm travel arrangements (hotel, conference registration, flight, etc.)
- June 19-23: AAEM21 St. Louis Union Station Hotel
*To qualify to speak at AAEM21, mentees must actively submit materials on time and engage with their mentor for each activity noted.
As part of the candidate application process, you will be asked to submit three items prior to July 13: application form, video, and a talk/title proposal to speak at AAEM21. Candidates will then be asked to submit a book review summary by July 31, 2020.
1) Complete the application form.
Fill out the application form.
Application Deadline: July 13, 2020
2) Submit a video.
Using Dropbox, share a video (MP4, MOV, or M4V format). Please name the file with your Last Name, First Name (i.e. Jones, Jane). Applicants are required to submit a video with the following information:
- Your name and institution and a brief summary of your training and passion in emergency medicine
- Previous speaking experience
- Mentoring experience or summary on what have you done to improve your public speaking skills
- Expectations/what you hope to gain from the Speaker Development Group
The video should be no more than 4 minutes in length.
Upload Deadline: July 13, 2020
3) Submit a proposal to speak at AAEM21.
Mentees in the Speaker Development Group program are offered a Breve Dulce (7 minute talk / up to 25 slides) speaker slot at the next Scientific Assembly. To assist in the conference planning process, you are asked to submit a proposed talk title now. For ideas on previous Breve Dulce titles, please visit the AAEM20 Preliminary Program. Visit the AAEM21 website to learn more and complete the educational proposal form.
4) Complete a reading summary.
Applicants are required to read “Secrets of Successful Speakers: How You Can Motivate, Captivate, and Persuade” by Lilly Walters and provide a summary of three take-aways. Submit summaries via email to Kathy Uy, MS CMP, AAEM Senior Meetings Manager at email@example.com.
Summary Deadline: July 31, 2020
AAEM will follow up with candidates by September 1, 2020.
Mentee Benefits and Expectations
- Guidance and direction from a highly respected, AAEM nationally recognized speaker to enhance speaking skills and content
- Quarterly check-ins with your mentor
- Quarter 1: Set goals and get initial guidance for speaking engagements and confirm topic
- Quarter 2: Develop slides and content
- Quarter 3: Delivery and review of Presentation
- Quarter 4: Give newly improved presentation and discuss next steps
- Mentees are responsible for keeping in contact with their mentors throughout the year-long process. The process is mentee led.
Vonzella Bryant, MD FAAEM
Jason Hine, MD FAAEM
Demis Lipe, MD FAAEM
Daphne Morrison Ponce, MD FAAEM
Patricia De Melo Panakos, MD FAAEM
Alexis Salerno, MD FAAEM
Randy Sorge, MD
Celine Thum, MD FAAEM
Jeffrey A. Baker, MD FAAEM
Maite A. Huis in 't Veld, MD FAAEM
Robert P. Lam, MD FAAEM
Samreen Vora, MD MHAM
Matthew D. Zuckerman, MD FAAEM
Matthew P. Borloz, MD FAAEM
Mike Gottlieb, MD RDMS FAAEM
Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM
Andrew Phillips, MD MEd FAAEM
Kraftin Schreyer, MD CMQ FAAEM
Erica Simon, DO MHA MPH
What Past Participants Have Shared
- “Mike Winters provided excellent feedback and advice for a recent lecture at an outside institution.”
- “Dr. Mattu is a world-class speaker, and his willingness to help develop future speakers is awesome.”
- “Connecting with and working with rising speakers. Great fun.” (Mentor quote)
- “The direct access to experienced speaking experts is a definite highlight of the program. Mike Winters was very approachable and gave excellent advice.”
Contact Kathy Uy, AAEM Senior Meetings Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-884-2236.