December 19, 2023
Hotel Cut-off Date:
April 5, 2024
Early Bird Registration Ends:
April 5, 2024
April 27-28, 2024
April 28-May 1, 2024
Medical Student Ambassadors
Between medical school duties, studying for Step exams, and maybe a little self-care, it’s difficult to find time to network and get to know a specialty! The AAEM Scientific Assembly is the perfect way to incorporate networking, mentorship, and a deep-dive into emergency medicine and we want YOU to play an integral role!
Join us in Austin, TX for the 30th Annual Scientific Assembly, April 27 – May 1, 2024 and discover all that emergency medicine has to offer as a Medical Student Ambassador. Ambassadors are key players during the conference, acting as “knowledge-hubs” and collectors of invaluable evaluation feedback from attendees.
As a Medical Student Ambassador, you will:
- Be paired with a mentor and have one-on-one time with them to ask all the gritty questions you have about emergency medicine
- Enjoy great food and greater company during networking events like the Opening Reception and the Chapter Divisions & Sections Social
- Create connections with your fellow ambassadors through fun activities and a complimentary dinner
- Focus on your personal wellness by participating in the AAEM & AAEM/RSA Wellness Committee activities like mindfulness exercises and the popular Airway at AAEM event
- Include this great experience on your CV
- And, if you meet the requirements, you’ll be eligible for a $500 reimbursement for meeting travel expenses, funded by LEAD-EM!
Applications are now closed.
What to Expect as a Medical Student Ambassador
Below are a few of the ways that Medical Student Ambassadors will provide important support during AAEM23:
- Introduce yourselves to the moderator at assigned track and welcome attendees
- Remind attendees to complete evaluations on the mobile app or paper form
- Collect and collate evaluation results
- Take photos and share using #AAEM24 so that AAEM and AAEM/RSA accounts can share your posts
- Assist with the poster competition logistics
- Assist with managing attendance at small group clinics
- Provide assistance to attendees on how to use and navigate the mobile app
- Provide assistance recording podcasts
Quotes from Past Participants
Previous Ambassadors Say:
- “Great networking, great for resume, great for meeting other students. If this is your first time going to a conference (especially by yourself), the ambassador program is a great way to not feel too lonely!”
- “Thanks so much for the great opportunity!”
- “I had such a great experience as a student ambassador and I think it was an excellent opportunity to be involved in the conference, network, and learn.”
Previous Mentors Say:
- “The experience is rewarding and worthwhile.”
- “Thank you for doing this – I love it!”
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I need to be present at the conference?
Orientation with your AAEM board liaison is typically early the first day of the conference. Don’t worry, we know your schedules are busy so there is some flexibility.
Do I need to pay the fee to register for the assembly or is there another price for me as student ambassador?
No need to pay the refundable fee and register. If you’re selected as an ambassador, you’ll be registered by staff.
Is it mandatory to stay at the conference hotel, or can we stay with family and friends or at other cheaper places?
It’s not mandatory to stay at the conference hotel. Feel free to make accommodations where you feel is best. However, the ambassadors typically meet with their board liaison first thing in the mornings during the conference (about 7:00am), so keep this in mind for travel time from wherever you’re staying.
Can I attend add-on educational courses?
You can attend add-on educational courses, but ambassadors aren’t assigned to work those sessions. If you want to attend, you’ll have to register and pay for them separately.
Can I choose my mentor?
Mentor and mentee matches are made as much as possible based on educational interests and geographic preference. While we do our best to match your needs, mentors are volunteer positions and matches are based on availability.
Are any of my travel costs covered?
LEAD-EM will provide a $500 reimbursement for ambassadors’ miscellaneous expenses, as long as the student ambassador commits to attending the entirety (or majority) of the conference. You are welcome to plan your travels with other ambassadors, friends, or colleagues to reduce expenses.
Contact us by email or by phone at (800) 884-2236.