27th Annual Scientific Assembly
19th Annual Open Mic
Sponsored by the Young Physicians Section (YPS-AAEM)
What is Open Mic?
Open Mic is a proud tradition within AAEM, where attendees have the unique opportunity they have always wanted to speak at a national meeting. This open-floor format allows 16 "new voices" to be heard and evaluated by education committee members and conference attendees.
Open Mic participants present a 25-minute lecture (20 minutes for presentation, 5 minutes for questions) on any topic. The top two speakers of Open Mic 2021 will be invited to give a formal presentation at the 2022 Scientific Assembly in Baltimore, MD.
How to Participate
A limited number of time slots will be filled in advance. Six slots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis by signing up onsite. Specific slots reserved for full voting members, YPS-AAEM members, residents, and students. Membership in AAEM or AAEM/RSA is a prerequisite for participating.
*Note: Six candidates register onsite (two slots reserved for residents and two for young physicians), the remaining two slots are open to anyone. AAEM membership is a pre-requisite for participation.
To Help You Prepare
- A PC laptop connected to a projector will be provided in the room. Please bring your PowerPointTM presentation on a flash drive to the conference room. If you prefer to use your own device (laptop), please bring your own connection cords/adapter. AAEM is not responsible for AV issues. An AV technician is not stationed in this room. You will be asked to load your own presentation and begin speaking.
- No internet is provided in the room. If you need to use a video, it is suggested that you download this item separately on your flash drive. Sound is projected from the laptop, no additional speakers or mixer are provided.
- Your presence is requested at the orientation of Open Mic on Monday, March 8, 2020 at 7:45am-8:00am. This session will prepare you for a successful presentation.
- A microphone is not provided. Due to the nature of this a competition, a microphone is not needed.
- It is recommended that you stay in this session until all speakers have presented. There is not a scheduled break between speakers and sessions may run faster than indicated. Colleagues are welcome and encouraged to listen; please invite them! Please note: CME is not available for Open Mic sessions.
- Please prepare a short biography (30-45 seconds) to introduce yourself and your topic. Suggested items to include are: your name, affiliation/degrees, location, training, passion for this topic, hobbies/interests in free time, and title of presentation.
- Participants in Open Mic are expected to register for the Scientific Assembly.
If you have questions regarding submissions, please call AAEM at (800) 884-2236 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.