Promoting the importance of board certification in emergency medicine is one of AAEM's founding principles. AAEM is committed to fighting to disturbing trend in emergency medicine to diminish the value of board certification.
"A specialist in emergency medicine is a physician who has achieved, through personal dedication and sacrifice, certification by either the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) or the American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine (AOBEM)."
- The Value of Board Certification and Residency Training in Emergency Medicine (8/8/2011)
- Position Statement on the Use of Non-Emergency Medicine Specialists in the ED (7/10/09)
- Position Statement Opposing the Creation or Recognition of an American Board of Disaster Medicine (ABDM) under the auspices of the American Board of Physician Specialists (ABPS) (8/14/06)
- Misleading Advertising Policy (3/31/04)
- Non-Discrimination Position Statement on Practice Track vs. Residency Trained EM Physicians (2/22/01)