The WiEM Section of AAEM works to develop leadership by:
- Offering professional development opportunities and sponsorship to advance women to leadership positions within AAEM and their home institutions
- Promoting women members in AAEM via nominations for presentations at SA, committees, board positions, and awards
- Providing scholarships for junior members to attend relevant AAEM events (HPEM, ED Management Solutions, pre-conference offerings at SA, etc.)
- Creating opportunities for networking with other female leaders within emergency medicine
Summary of AAEM Awards (PDF)
- The WiEM Section nominated Joanne Williams, MD MAAEM FAAEM, who was the first-ever female to receive the Master of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine Award in 2018
- The WiEM Section also nominated the following award recipients:
- Ashley Bean, MD FAAEM | Amin Kazzi International Emergency Medicine Leadership Award (2018)
- Loice Swisher, MD FAAEM | James Keaney Award (2019)
AAEM Award Nomination Now Open
Do you know someone with an outstanding record of service to emergency medicine and AAEM? Recognize them! Nine awards are available.
Deadline to submit a nomination: March 21, 2021 at 11:59pm CT.
The WiEM Section would like to create a platform for EM residency and medical education academic leaders. We hope to create an intimate forum that serves as a resource for questions, advice, and promotes discussion of different topics that pertain to education. If you are a program director, assistant/associate program director or clerkship director, please consider answering the survey.
AAEM Women in EM Networking Lunch at Scientific Assembly
The WiEM Section created the first ever women in emergency medicine networking lunch at the 25th Annual Scientific Assembly in 2019. There were over 80 participants in attendance. The luncheon will continue at future scientific assemblies.
Women's History Month - Twitter Storm
This March, the AAEM Women in Emergency Medicine Committee is highlighting women making history through their roles in EM! Please join us in amplifying these stories and sharing your own story on social media using #AAEMWiEM and #WomensHistory.