The WiEM Section of AAEM works to develop leadership by:
- Offering professional development opportunities and sponsorship to advance women to leadership positions within AAEM and their home institutions
- Promoting women members in AAEM via nominations for presentations at SA, committees, board positions, and awards
- Providing scholarships for junior members to attend relevant AAEM events (HPEM, ED Management Solutions, pre-conference offerings at SA, etc.)
- Creating opportunities for networking with other female leaders within emergency medicine
- The WiEM Section nominated Joanne Williams, MD MAAEM FAAEM, who was the first-ever female to receive the Master of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine Award in 2018
- The WiEM Section also nominated the following award recipients:
- Ashley Bean, MD FAAEM | Amin Kazzi International Emergency Medicine Leadership Award (2018)
- Loice Swisher, MD FAAEM | James Keaney Award (2019)
AAEM Women in EM Section Zoom Webinar
Join the Women in Emergency Medicine Section as they host a virtual panel discussion. Expert panelists will discuss applying to emergency medicine residencies as an International Medical Graduate. The virtual panel discussion will be held via Zoom Webinar. Learn more.
AAEM Women in EM Networking Lunch at Scientific Assembly
The WiEM Section created the first ever women in emergency medicine networking lunch at the 25th Annual Scientific Assembly in 2019. There were over 80 participants in attendance. The luncheon will continue at future scientific assemblies.
Women's History Month - Twitter Storm
This March, the AAEM Women in Emergency Medicine Committee is highlighting women making history through their roles in EM! Please join us in amplifying these stories and sharing your own story on social media using #AAEMWiEM and #WomensHistory.