Medical Student Scholarship
JEDI-AAEM is excited to present our 2023 Medical Student Scholarship! Our goal is to support a pipeline of diverse talent entering emergency medicine. This scholarship will provide additional financial resources for underrepresented in medicine (URiM) medical students during the expensive residency application process.
This scholarship will be granted to underrepresented medical students applying to EM residency programs (including combined programs). We utilize a broad definition of URiM that includes, but is not limited to, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and immigration status.
Scholarship awardees will receive $500 for residency application expenses such as: application fees, interview attire, technology needed for virtual interviews, and/or interview travel. Each awardee will also be matched with a JEDI-AAEM mentor, if they do not already have one, that will help them navigate the residency application process.
- Applicants must be current AAEM/RSA members (Join AAEM/RSA) and JEDI-AAEM members (Join JEDI-AAEM - free for AAEM/RSA members)
- Complete the JEDI-AAEM Medical Student Scholarship Application by October 28, 2022 with the following information:
- Written essay (250 word limit) or video submission (1-2 minute time limit) to introduce yourself and explain why you chose emergency medicine
- Copy of Step 1 and/or Step 2 score(s)
- Transcript (does not have to be school authorized, may be a screen shot of grades)
- Curriculum Vitae (including evidence of community outreach or passion project)
- Photo of yourself (optional)
The application will open September 12, 2022. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 28, 2022 or until awards have been granted. We encourage you to apply early!
Scholarship Awardee Requirements
If selected, JEDI-AAEM will request the following information to be completed prior to receiving the scholarship:
- A copy of your AAMC application receipt
- Receipt of ERAS application submission to EM
- Copies of receipts such as application fees, interview attire, technology needed for virtual interviews, and/or interview travel up to $500
- Completion of W-9 and submitted to Kathy Uy, MS CMP DES, AAEM Senior Meetings Manager
If you have questions or would like more information about this scholarship, please email Kathy Uy, MS CMP DES, AAEM Senior Meetings Manager, or call 800-884-2236.