Palliative Care Interest Group
Who We Are
Mission: To develop palliative care competence relevant to emergency physicians across all levels of experience.
- Educate emergency physicians on how to identify, manage, and refer palliative care eligible patients in the emergency department.
- Build peer network for collaboration, mentorship, and research to advance palliative care in the emergency department.
- Create professional development and leadership opportunities at both national and regional levels to build capacity in palliative care core competencies across all emergency department practice settings.
- Share knowledge and best practices around alternative ED palliative care delivery systems and as well as personal career trajectories.
- Advise AAEM advisory board on upcoming key palliative care challenges and opportunities within emergency medicine.
Interest Group Co-Chairs: David Wang, MD and Mari Siegel, MD FAAEM
Board Liaison: Evie Marcolini, MD FAAEM
Common Sense Articles
- Coping with Death in the Emergency Department (September/October 2018) - Deniece Boothe, DO
Journal of Emergency Medicine Articles
Palliative Care Symptom Management in The Emergency Department: The ABC's of Symptom Management for The Emergency Physician (January 2018) - Mari Siegel, MD FAAEM FACEP and Suzanne Bigelow, MD
A Systematic Approach to Comfort Care Transitions in the Emergency Department - David Wang, MD and Christina Creel-Bulos, RN-BSN, MD