Geriatric Interest Group
Who We Are
Geriatric patients comprise over 15% of our patient population, and they are on the rise. Understanding geriatric emergencies is an essential skill set for every emergency physician, and one that is not commonly taught, which is how this interest group emerged. Promoting best clinical practice is this group’s mission, which will be possible by advocating the importance of acknowledging the specific considerations related to this group, and providing accessible, evidence-based education for all.
Interest Group Chairs: Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM
Board Liaison: Robert Frolichstein, MD FAAEM
- Creating a speakers’ bureau of emergency geriatrics experts who are interested in speaking at various educational venues, whether in AAEM or other venues.
- Creation of up-to-date, accessible geriatric emergency medicine educational material, in the form of recorded lectures and interactive web content.
- Collaboration with the American Geriatric Society (AGS) on various educational products for healthcare providers interested in providing emergency care to geriatric patients.
- Promoting writing and publication opportunities for emergency physicians interested in geriatric care.
Common Sense Articles
- The Role of Geriatric Emergency Care (September/October 2018)
On November 28, 2018 the AAEM Board of Directors voted to approve the endorsement of the Geriatric Emergency Department Guidelines written by ACEP, AGS, ENA, and SAEM. Read the full guidelines here.
Connect with us
Use #GeriAAEM on Twitter to start or join in on the conversation!