Who We Are
Study root causes of burnout and promote wellness and career longevity for AAEM members.
- Examine the current state of EM physician wellness and burnout. Publish and disseminate this information.
- Continue to monitor EM physician wellness and burnout and provide regular updates to the Academy.
- Explore and examine possible causes degrading wellness and causing burnout.
- Create best practice models for physician practices that best promote wellness, resilience and minimize burnout.
- Create a physician self assessment tool so Academy members may assess their current state of wellness and risk of burnout.
- Create educational content on wellness, resilience, and burnout. This content should contain self directed activities, online resources, and live presentations and discussions for AAEM Scientific Assembly.
- Recognize physician leaders who have resilient careers and inspirational emergency practices.
- Create a mentoring program between physicians coping with burnout and resilient physicians leaders.
- Create wellness and resilience activities for members at AAEM Scientific Assemblies.
- Explore the correlation between wellness and burnout in different types of practice environments.
Committee Chair: Robert Lam, MD FAAEM
Vice Chair: Loice Swisher, MD FAAEM
Board Liaison: Jonathan Jones, MD FAAEM
Below are some links to online anonymous self-tests.
- Burnout Survey
- Depression Screen
- Stress Screen
- Promote Resiliency and Prevent Compassion Fatigue: The Helper Pocket Card
From the American Medical Association: Creating the Organizational Foundation for Joy in Medicine™
National Academy of Medicine - Action Collaborative on Clinician Well-Being and Resilience
To provide an opportunity for organizations across the country to discuss and share plans of action to reverse clinician burnout and promote clinician well-being, the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) has collected statements describing organizational goals or commitments to action. By sharing their commitment to improving clinician well-being and reducing clinician burnout, these organizations are an active contributor to the NAM’s Action Collaborative on Clinician Well-Being and Resilience.
- Read the AAEM organizational commitment statement
- Read the AAEM/RSA organizational commitment statement
- Read all participating organizations commitment statements
Publications of Wellness Committee Members
Emergency Medicine Still Revs Our Engines, So Why Do We Feel Like We're Running on Empty?
Larissa Coldebella, MD
Late Career Resiliency: Is It Time to Make a Change?
David Lawhorn, MD MAAEM FAAEM
Work-Life Balance and the Search for Bigfoot
Annahieta Kalantari, DO FAAEM
Building Resilience Through Food (PDF)
Madhu Hardasmalanim, MD FAAEM
Resuscitating Resilience (PDF)
Robert Lam, MD FAAEM
My Own Wellness Story (PDF)
Madhu Hardasmalani, MD FAAEM
MEdIC: The Case of the Fatiguing Fourth Year
Loice Swisher, MD FAAEM
The Elusive Resilient Career in Emergency Medicine (PDF)
Robert Lam, MD FAAEM
Wellness Activities at Scientific Assembly
The Wellness Committee strives to make AAEM's Annual Scientific Assembly a motivational retreat where you leave feeling a renewed passion for emergency medicine. We coordinate morning wellness activities to set your focus for the day, Airways at AAEM - a story telling event, a wellness room that attendees can go to for a break, and more.
Breaking the Silence: Preventing Physician Suicide
A spotlight on physician suicide based on a personal struggle.
Presented by Loice Swisher, MD FAAEM at AAEM17.