Pain and Addiction Committee
Who We Are
This committee of dedicated and passionate EM physicians will have a mission of providing safe, effective and efficient analgesia and procedural sedation in the ED and addressing and treating addiction that are patient-centered, evidence-based and commercial-biased free. This mission will be accomplished by dissemination and sharing of knowledge, by creation of pain management guidelines, by promoting advanced concepts in pain management and sedation, and by multi-specialty collaborations. Our goal is to continue to act as a virtual and in-person meeting source for AAEM members who share an interest in pain, addiction and sedation, as well as acting as a liaison between AAEM leadership and issues that arise in these domains.
Chair: Zachary Repanshek, MD FAAEM
Vice Chair: Alexis LaPietra, DO FACEP FAAEM
Board Liaison: Kraftin E. Schreyer, MD MBA FAAEM
Staff Liaison: Thomas G. Derenne
- Creation of an ED pain and procedural sedation curriculum.
- Implementation of evidence-based guidelines for responsible opioid use in the ED that accounts for their benefits and harms.
- Fostering multi-specialty collaboration to promote a targeted, multimodal analgesia approach for patients who present for emergency care with acute and chronic pain.
- Management of Opioid Use Disorder in the Emergency Department: A White Paper Prepared for the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (approved 9/22/2019)
- AAEM White Paper on Acute Pain Management in the Emergency Department (10/24/17)
Letter to Congressional Leadership
Letter Encouraging the Passage of the Mainstreaming Addiction Treatment Act (MAT Act, H.R. 2482, S. 2074) (PDF)