Operations Management Committee
Who We Are
- Create a resource catalog for operations management best practice processes: Collect operational best practices and make them available as a resource tool for groups interested in these initiatives.
- Create a data warehouse for ED metrics and operational benchmarks: Make available operational data to AAEMs members and including soliciting AAEM membership for data to populate the warehouse.
- Author an educational series in Common Sense: Produce an educational article of interest to the general membership in every issue of Common Sense from one of our committee members, many of whom have deep experience in process improvement in the area of operations management.
- Produce educational sessions for AAEM scientific assemblies: Develop a lecture series within the arena of operations management and process improvement as a thread weaving its way through each AAEM Annual Scientific Assembly.
- Implement an operations management workshop for the AAEM Scientific Assembly: This is another high-value objective. Workshops like this represent the best in an applied science approach to a host of theoretical concepts in operations management. A related objective is a quarterly operational excellence activity hosted a various sites around the country.
- Create an active communications network: Through the use of social and professional networks including listserves, facilitate the exchange of concepts and ideas for enlightened solutions to operational issues in our emergency departments.
Committee Chair: Ben White, MD FAAEM
Board Liaison: Mark Reiter, MD MBA FAAEM
OMC Articles in Common Sense
- Flow Improvement Strategies: Provider-In-Triage (PIT) (January/February 2019)
- Recap — ED Management Solutions: Principles and Practice (November/December 2018)
- Make Operations Cool (Again?) (September/October 2018)
- ED Crowding and Boarding: A Shift in Strategy (July/August 2018)
- Introducing: The ED Management Solutions Course (March/April 2018)
- Payment, RVUs, and How We're Valued - Perspective of a Young Physician (November/December 2017)
- Operations Management Committee at AAEM17 (March/April 2017)
- Freestanding Emergency Departments: What Can We Learn (September/October 2016)
- Electronic Health Record Implementation in Your Emergency Department (July/August 2016)
- Improving the Patient Experience: Ten High-Yield Interventions (March/April 2016)
- Operational Margin: The Critical Final Pathway in Patient Flow (January/February 2016)
Emergency Medicine Operations Management Podcasts
In this podcast series, Joseph Guarisco, MD FAAEM, ED Chair at Ochsner Hospital (New Orleans, LA), is joined by guests to discuss operations management issues for the emergency physician. Dr. Guarisco is the chair of the Operations Management Committee of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM). Join him each month as he discusses issues of importance to emergency physicians. Listen Today!
ED Management Solutions: Principles and Practice - Save the Date!
September 4-6, 2019 | Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue | New Orleans, LA
The ED Management Solutions Course is a live two-day event that brings together current and future medical directors. Not a medical director, but interested in operations management? This course is for you too! Topics covered are both timely and cutting edge. The first day will focus on the fundamentals of operations and then you will dive deeper into emergency department management and leadership on day two.
Interested in joining but want to chat with committee members first? Have general inquiries about operations management?
Have specific questions for the medical directors?