Independent Practice Support Committee
Who We Are
- Monitor issues affecting the “practice” of emergency medicine and provide information to members regarding practice management matters as it relates to the administrative and clinical practice of emergency medicine.
- Provide research and opinions/interpretations to the Executive Committee and board of directors on specific practice management issues.
- Write manuals, white papers and/or articles for Common Sense on current/recurring practice management issues that impact AAEM members such as:
- Workplace Fairness / Contracts / Due Process / Ownership / Restrictive Covenants
- Coding / Billing / Reimbursement / Fee Splitting
- EMTALA / Emergency Care Access
- ACA Implications for EM
- Practice Management “Best Practices”
Committee Chair: Liza Chopra, MD FAAEM
Board Liaison: Tom Tobin, MD MBA FAAEM
- Making Connections at AHA: Representatives of the Independent Practice Support Committee (IPSC) have attended the annual meeting of the American Hospital Association (AHA) for the past 4 years to meet hospital administrators and promote the benefits of board certified emergency physicians and independent democratic groups.
- AAEM Consultation Service: The IPSC can assess the status of emergency medicine in the hospital to determine the suitability and timing for evolving to an independent, democratic group.
- Starting an EM Group: Dr. Lawhorn has written a handbook for starting an independent democratic EM physician group. Setting Up a New Emergency Medicine Business is available now. You can purchase the book here.