Create and promote geriatric emergency medicine education for all emergency physicians through a collaborative national and international exchange of ideas.
Geriatric patients comprise over 15% of our patient population, and they are on the rise. Managing geriatric emergencies is an essential skill set for every emergency physician, and one that is not commonly taught, which is how this committee emerged. Promoting best clinical practice is this committee’s mission, which will be possible by advocating the importance of acknowledging the specific considerations related to this population, and providing accessible, evidence-based education for all.
- Creation of up-to-date, accessible geriatric emergency medicine educational material
- Promoting writing and publication opportunities for emergency physicians interested in geriatric care
- Join the national conversation regarding emergency care for older adults by collaborating with other national organizations such as AGS, ACEP, and SAEM
Co-Chair: Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM
Co-Chair: Richard D. Shih, MD FAAEM
Board Liaison: Robert Frolichstein, MD FAAEM
Activities at Scientific Assembly
Upcoming Activities at the 2021 Scientific Assembly
- Sunday, June 20, 2021 | 4:40pm-5:30pm CT
The Geriatric Emergency Department-Realistic Expectations From Emergency and Geriatric Medicine-A Panel Discussion | Ellen Binder, MD, Christopher R. Carpenter, MD MSc FAAEM AGSF and Richard D. Shih, MD FAAEM
- Tuesday, June 22, 2021 | 10:15pm-10:25pm CT
Geriatric Trauma Pitfalls: Careful What You Take to the Trauma Bay | Christopher R. Carpenter, MD MSc FAAEM AGSF
- Tuesday, June 22, 2021 | 3:40pm-4:00pm CT
Navigating Best Practice in Evaluation of the Geriatric Patient with a Fever Who Can't Provide History | Jack C. Perkins Jr., MD FAAEM
- Tuesday, June 22, 2021 | 4:10pm-4:30pm CT
Abdominal Pain in the Geriatric Patient | Joseph P. Martinez, MD FAAEM
- On Demand
Combatting Delirium in the ED: As Easy as ABCDE | Danya Khoujah, MBBS MEHP FAAEM
AAEM Online Geriatric Talks from Past Assemblies
- Track Talk. AAEM19. Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM | Discharge Planning for Your Geriatric Patient
- Breve Dulce. AAEM19. Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM | 3 Things to Do for Every Patient Above 75
Common Sense Articles
- Confessions of Country Doc: “Dementia with Behaviors” is Not a Diagnosis by Robert S. Anderson, MD FAAEM (March/April 2019) (PDF)
- The Role of Geriatric Emergency Care by Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM (September/October 2018) (PDF)
- New AAEM Interest Group: Geriatric Emergency Medicine by Christopher R. Carpenter, MD MSc AGSF FAAEM (July/August 2015) (PDF)
Recommendations for the Navigation of Moral Dilemmas during the COVID Pandemic (2/22/2021)
The AAEM Ethics Committee, Geriatric Committee, and Palliative Care Interest Group collaborated to write recommendations for the navigation of moral dilemmas during the COVID pandemic. Read the statement here.
On November 28, 2018 the AAEM Board of Directors voted to approve the endorsement of the Geriatric Emergency Department Guidelines written by ACEP, AGS, ENA, and SAEM. Read the full guidelines here.
Letter endorsing H.R. 6142, the Assuring Medicare Stability and Access for Seniors Act of 2012 (9/10/2012)
- Silver Book II: Urgent care-focused resource by the British Geriatrics Society aimed at healthcare professionals in emergency departments and urgent care.
- Article: Leading experts in frailty launch the Silver Book II in collaboration with the British Geriatrics Society
Connect with us
Use #GeriAAEM on Twitter to start or join in on the conversation!