Create and promote geriatric emergency medicine education for all emergency physicians through a collaborative national and international exchange of ideas.
Geriatric patients comprise over 15% of our patient population, and they are on the rise. Managing geriatric emergencies is an essential skill set for every emergency physician, and one that is not commonly taught, which is how this committee emerged. Promoting best clinical practice is this committee’s mission, which will be possible by advocating the importance of acknowledging the specific considerations related to this population, and providing accessible, evidence-based education for all.
- Creation of up-to-date, accessible geriatric emergency medicine educational material
- Promoting writing and publication opportunities for emergency physicians interested in geriatric care
- Join the national conversation regarding emergency care for older adults by collaborating with other national organizations such as AGS, ACEP, and SAEM
Chair: Richard D. Shih, MD FAAEM
Board Liaison: Kimberly M. Brown, MD MPH FAAEM
Staff Liaison: Erica Pollnow
Activities at Scientific Assembly
AAEM Online Geriatric Talks from Past Assemblies
- Track Talk. AAEM19. Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM | Discharge Planning for Your Geriatric Patient
- Breve Dulce. AAEM19. Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM | 3 Things to Do for Every Patient Above 75
Common Sense Articles
- The Elderly ED Patient Who Falls, are We Making STRIDEs in Their Treatment? by Richard D. Shih, MD, Elizabeth M. Goldberg, MD, Shan W. Liu, MD, and Christopher R. Carpenter, MD
- Confessions of Country Doc: “Dementia with Behaviors” is Not a Diagnosis by Robert S. Anderson, MD FAAEM (March/April 2019) (PDF)
- The Role of Geriatric Emergency Care by Danya Khoujah, MBBS FAAEM (September/October 2018) (PDF)
- New AAEM Interest Group: Geriatric Emergency Medicine by Christopher R. Carpenter, MD MSc AGSF FAAEM (July/August 2015) (PDF)
Recommendations for the Navigation of Moral Dilemmas during the COVID Pandemic (2/22/2021)
The AAEM Ethics Committee, Geriatric Committee, and Palliative Care Interest Group collaborated to write recommendations for the navigation of moral dilemmas during the COVID pandemic. Read the statement here.
On November 28, 2018 the AAEM Board of Directors voted to approve the endorsement of the Geriatric Emergency Department Guidelines written by ACEP, AGS, ENA, and SAEM. Read the full guidelines here.
Letter endorsing H.R. 6142, the Assuring Medicare Stability and Access for Seniors Act of 2012 (9/10/2012)
- Silver Book II: Urgent care-focused resource by the British Geriatrics Society aimed at healthcare professionals in emergency departments and urgent care.
- Article: Leading experts in frailty launch the Silver Book II in collaboration with the British Geriatrics Society
- Geriatric Emergency Department Collaborative
- Geriatric Emergency Care Applied Research (GEAR)
- The Journal of Geriatric Emergency Medicine (JGEM)
- GEMCast Podcast
- Geri-EM : Personalized E-Learning in Geriatric Emergency Medicine
- Geriatric ED
Connect with us
Follow @EMGeriPearls on Twitter to start or join in on the conversation!