Emergency Medicine Workforce Committee
Thank you to everyone who responded to our call for applications to the AAEM EM Workforce Committee. We have had an overwhelming response and due to the logistics of working efficiently with such a large committee, at this time, we have closed the general invitation. We appreciate the enthusiasm, passion and willingness to work on this committee - these are important issues that affect every emergency physician. In the meantime, if you have concerns, questions or information, please forward to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will keep you up to date as to the work of the committee, and we hope to see you at our committee meeting at Scientific Assembly in April - time and location TBA.
Emergency Medicine Workforce Committee is not accepting applications for new members at this time.
Who We Are
- Evaluate the impact of APPs in emergency medicine, which can include the following:
- working with state/regional groups to find out how many of our members are affected by APP independent movement, become a resource for members, work with Williams and Jensen and AAEM Advocacy to put legislation bills at the state and federal levels on members' radar to encourage individual letter writing.
- Evaluate the impact of the growth of EM residency programs and APP programs on the emergency medicine workforce including the following:
- complete manuscript publication, investigate avenues to address the issue, including legal implications
Committee Chair: Evie Marcolini, MD FAAEM FACEP FCCM
Vice Chair: Julie Vieth, MBChB FAAEM
If you are an AAEM member and wish to submit a question or concern for the AAEM EM Workforce Committee to review, please use this form. Concerns regarding the unsupervised practice of advanced practice providers (APPs) or the replacement of physicians by APPs may be submitted for review.
- Statement of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) on the Edward-Elmhurst Health Firing of Physicians and Replacement with Non-Physician Providers (12/3/2019)
- AAEM Position Statement on the Emergency Medicine Workforce (4/3/2019)
- Updated Position Statement on Advanced Practice Providers (1/29/2019)
Articles in Common Sense
- Does AAEM Advocacy Resonate with Residents? (March/April 2020)