Emergency Medicine Workforce Committee
The AAEM EM Workforce Committee is one of the most active committees of AAEM. We are actively engaged in advocacy issues that speak to the mission of AAEM and affect EM physicians on a daily basis. The work of this committee will impact the environment of emergency medicine for our residents as they graduate. If you have concerns, questions or information, please forward them to us at email@example.com. We will keep you up-to-date as to the work of the committee.
Who We Are
- Evaluate the impact of non-physician practitioners (NPPs) in emergency medicine, which includes the following:
- Work with AAEM/RSA and AAEM state and regional chapter divisions to track how many of our members are affected by the NPP independent practice movement.
- Be a resource for members on scope of practice creep.
- Work with individual state legislators and AAEM advocacy to encourage members to engage with state medical societies on scope of practice issues and encourage individuals to act on state legislation bills.
- Continue to evaluate the impact of the growth of EM residency programs and NPP programs on the emergency medicine workforce.
- Advocate for our members who are being replaced by NPPs.
- Work alongside all stakeholders to promote physician-led, team-based emergency medical care and promote legislation and rulings that allow for transparency and accuracy of terminology so every patient knows who is providing his/her care.
Chair: Julie Vieth, MBChB FAAEM
Vice Chair: Josh Bucher, MD FAAEM
Board Liaison: Terrence Mulligan, DO MPH FAAEM
If you are an AAEM member and wish to submit a question or concern for the AAEM EM Workforce Committee to review, please use this form. Concerns regarding the unsupervised practice of non-physician practitioner (NPP) programs (NPPs) or the replacement of physicians by NPPs may be submitted for review.
- Statement of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) on the Edward-Elmhurst Health Firing of Physicians and Replacement with Non-Physician Providers (12/3/2019)
- AAEM Position Statement on the Emergency Medicine Workforce (4/3/2019)
- Updated Position Statement on Non-Physician Practitioners (NPP) (1/29/2019)
Articles in Common Sense
- Maybe July 1st Isn't so Dangerous After All (September/October 2020)
- Will There Be a Doctor in the House? (September/October 2020)
- Does AAEM Advocacy Resonate with Residents? (March/April 2020)