Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Who We Are
To strive for increased diversity throughout the practice of emergency medicine and to reduce inequality beginning at AAEM and extending to all of our affiliate institutions and beyond.
To promote racial, ethnic, and gender diversity and advancement throughout our specialty at every level of leadership.
To actively support and mentor underrepresented minorities (and culture champions) facing challenges at various stages of education, training, and career, as well as, collaborate with reputable organizations that support such efforts.
To provide education to peers and other medical professionals regarding the impact of explicit and implicit bias on emergency medicine practice and our ability to care equitably for all of our patients.
To research and disseminate reliable information promoting understanding of the need for diversity through AAEM publications and lectures, including at AAEM Scientific Assembly, as well as, in collaboration with other national and international organizations.
To continue work with AAEM Women in Emergency Medicine Committee to advocate for issues of justice and gender equity in the workplace.
Committee Chair: L.E. Gomez, MD MBA FAAEM
Board Liaison: Lisa Moreno, MD MS MSCR FAAEM
Articles in Common Sense
- From MCAT Failure to Emergency Physician: My Journey through International Medical School (May/June 2019)
- The Role of Bias in Performance Evaluations and Inclusion the Workplace (March/April 2019)
- Applied Without Insight, Lean Six Sigma Adversely Affects ED Flow and Health Care Quality (January/February 2019)
- Tattered Tarp or New Roof: Who Gets Included in Disaster Recovery? (November/December 2018)
- The Economic Power of Diversity and Inclusion to Change Policy and Culture (September/October 2018)
- A Brief Career Overview - L.E. Gomez, MD MBA FAAEM (July/August 2018)
Physician Burnout, Racism, and Corporate Misrepresentation
In this episode, Jordan Vaughn and L.E. Gomez, MD MBA FAAEM, discuss physician burnout, racism, and corporate misrepresentation. Mrs. Vaughn is a student at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Northeastern Regional Representative on the RSA Medical Student Council and Vice-Chair of the RSA Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Dr. Gomez is an AAEM at-large board member, Chair of the AAEM Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and Assistant Professor at Howard University Hospital.