Oral Board Review Course
Fall 2019 - Registration Now Open
- Dallas and Philadelphia - Saturday & Sunday, September 7-8, 2019
- Chicago and Orlando - Saturday & Sunday, September 14-15, 2019
- Las Vegas - Wednesday & Thursday, September 25-26, 2019
- Experience: AAEM has provided oral board review courses since 1997. Our examiners bring years of insight and experience.
- Exam Simulation: Our course simulates the format of the ABEM oral board examination in scheduling and hotel set-up.
- eOral Practice: Up to five of your single-case encounters will use the new eOral simulation system - this is the exact same eOral software as ABEM.*
- Learn the Format: You'll practice a total of 12 single cases and 4 triple cases and receive feedback from the examiners on every case, including an in-depth Day 1 debriefing session.
- Extras: Additional review materials are available for attendees over the two days of the course. Lunch is provided for all attendees and breakfast is provided for those that stay in the course hotel.
*AAEM has been granted a sub-license for use of eOral software identical to that used for the ABEM Oral Certification Examination. Case content is entirely that of AAEM.
The new 6th Edition of Pearls of Wisdom Emergency Medicine Oral Board Review is available for purchase from third party sources.
Hear from the National Course Director
Feel Confident Taking your Oral Boards
Why this Course?
Hear from Joel Schofer, MD MBA CPE FAAEM, past AAEM board member and editor-in-chief of the AAEM Written Board Review Book. Dr. Schofer shares his insights on the Oral Board Exam format and the unique ways AAEM can help you prepare.
- You can always do more to prepare, do as many practice cases as possible
- Knowing the content is one thing, mastering the exam format and feeling confident is another
- Even with preparation during residency, there is a gap before you take your exam and your skills can get rusty
- AAEM offers the unique opportunity to practice with the eOral format and guidance from experienced examiners who can help you succeed
Listen to Dr. Schofer's Oral Board preparation tips!
Each year more than 1,000 residents graduate from the emergency medicine training programs. Most of these graduates seek board certification by ABEM or AOBEM as the next step in their professional development and to help them attain the position of a specialist in emergency medicine. It is a requirement of both the ABEM and AOBEM that each individual pass an oral board examination before board certification status is awarded.
Comments received on past evaluations show that many of these graduating residents, while extremely well-trained in the practice of emergency medicine, need additional instruction in the mechanics and format of oral board examinations. Our course is designed to meet these educational needs by providing a venue in which the format of an oral board examination is replicated as closely as possible.
Comments from Past Course Attendees
- Great practice! Would definitely recommend!
- I feel much better prepared and am glad I took the course.
- This course has definitely made me more comfortable with preparing for the oral board exam. I am now more confident; I have a strategy that will hopefully bring success and less anxiety on the test date.
- Great preparation for the anxious candidate. I have always been terrified of the oral board experience, but I feel much better about going in to the oral boards.
- Great format! Mimics the actual boards. Great visual stimulus for between cases.
- This course provides excellent preparation for the oral boards. I solidified my routine for the exam and gained innumerable pearls.
Stay up-to-date on Oral Boards and other AAEM information on social media.
- What is the dress code?
The review course is designed to simulate the examination as closely as possibly. Although the review course does not require a specific dress code, it is recommended to dress appropriately for preparing yourself for the examination.
- What is the format of the course?
After an introductory session to familiarize participants with the ABEM/AOBEM oral board format, each candidate will be presented with 12 single-case encounters and four multiple-case encounters over the course of two days. Up to five of the single case encounters will be presented using the eOral simulation system. Instruction will be provided in one-on-one encounters with members of the course faculty. Candidates will respond to examiners as they would to ABEM/AOBEM examiners. After each case, the candidate will receive immediate feedback from the examiner, who may also offer suggestions for improvement. Between sessions with examiners, participants may enhance their learning in a common study area, where relevant study materials will be displayed. A debriefing session on day one allows for an important overview of the exam experience and provides participants with helpful take-home points.
- The course site I want to attend is booked. Are you able to squeeze me in?
Due to limited course size, you must register as soon as possible. Please register online to confirm course site availability. Do not make travel arrangements until you receive an email confirming your registration. Due to the course format, no additional attendees may be added to a site once capacity is reached.
Once registration is full at a course location, you can register to be on the wait list for any particular site in the instance someone should cancel his or her registration. After a registrant cancellation, individuals on the registrant wait list are contacted in the order they signed up on the wait list. An email and a voice mail are sent to the individual allowing one to two days to reply. If we do not hear from the individual in the given time frame, the next individual on the wait list is contacted, etc.
- I am already registered to attend the Oral Board Review Course, but now I unfortunately am unable to attend.
Due to the course’s high faculty-to-student ratio, refunds for cancellations will be authorized ONLY by written request received at least one month prior to the start date of the course and if a replacement registrant can be found. If a replacement registrant is found, a full refund of registration fees minus $100.00 (for the cost of the Pearls of Wisdom textbook and administrative fees) will be provided.
- Do I receive CME credit for attending?
A CME self-report link will be sent to attendees via email following the course. You may log-in and print your CME certificate at that time.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
Acceptable forms of payment include: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or check made payable to AAEM.