Oral Board Review Course
2022 Course Dates Coming Soon
- Experience: AAEM has provided oral board review courses since 1997. Our examiners bring years of insight and experience.
- Exam Simulation: Our course simulates the format of the ABEM Virtual Oral Examination.
- Learn the Virtual Format: Our course includes six single cases (just like on the ABEM exam), and two cases in the new Structured Interview format. The exam includes one case in this new format. Our course has two cases in this new format, providing you the additional practice.
- Expert Preparation: Our course provides you a total of 8 cases to help prepare you for the virtual oral examination.
The new 6th Edition of Pearls of Wisdom Emergency Medicine Oral Board Review is available for purchase from third party sources.
Why this Course?
Each year more than 2,000 residents graduate from the emergency medicine training programs. Most of these graduates seek board certification by ABEM or AOBEM as the next step in their professional development and to help them attain the position of a specialist in emergency medicine. It is a requirement of both the ABEM and AOBEM that each individual pass an oral board examination before board certification status is awarded.
Comments received on past evaluations show that many of these graduating residents, while extremely well-trained in the practice of emergency medicine, need additional instruction in the mechanics and format of oral board examinations. Our course is designed to meet these educational needs by providing a virtual review course format that replicates ABEM's Virtual Oral Examinations.
Comments from Past Course Attendees
- Great practice! Would definitely recommend!
- I feel much better prepared and am glad I took the course.
- This course has definitely made me more comfortable with preparing for the oral board exam. I am now more confident; I have a strategy that will hopefully bring success and less anxiety on the test date.
- Great preparation for the anxious candidate. I have always been terrified of the oral board experience, but I feel much better about going in to the oral boards.
- Great format! Mimics the actual boards. Great visual stimulus for between cases.
- This course provides excellent preparation for the oral boards. I solidified my routine for the exam and gained innumerable pearls.
Stay up-to-date on Oral Boards and other AAEM information on social media.
- What is the dress code?
The review course is designed to simulate the examination as closely as possibly. Although the review course does not require a specific dress code, it is recommended to dress appropriately for preparing yourself for the examination.
- What is the format of the course?
After an introductory session to familiarize participants with the ABEM/AOBEM oral board format, each candidate will be presented with six single-case and two structured interview case encounters. Instruction will be provided in one-on-one encounters with course faculty. Candidates will respond to examiners as they would to ABEM/AOBEM examiners. After each case, the candidate will receive immediate feedback from the examiner who may also offer suggestions for improvement. A debriefing session allows for an important overview of the exam experience and provides participants with helpful take-home points.
- I am already registered to attend the Oral Board Review Course, but now I unfortunately am unable to attend.
Due to the course’s high faculty-to-student ratio, refunds for cancellations will be authorized ONLY by written request received at least one month prior to the start date of the course and if a replacement registrant can be found. If a replacement registrant is found, a full refund of registration fees minus $100.00 (for the cost of the Pearls of Wisdom textbook and administrative fees) will be provided.
- Do I receive CME credit for attending?
A CME self-report link will be sent to attendees via email following the course. You may log-in and print your CME certificate at that time.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
Acceptable forms of payment include: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or check made payable to AAEM.