Oral Board Review Course
AAEM has over 25 years’ of successful experience in Oral Board preparation. AAEM examiners bring years of expert insight and experience to help you succeed.
Our course features six single and two structured interview case encounters using the same software platform as the ABEM virtual Oral Certification Examination – providing you the advantage at the exam from your first case encounter!
Join 5200+ board eligible candidates who prepared for the Oral Board Certification Exam with AAEM.
- Experience: AAEM has been committed to being the leader in emergency medicine education for over 25 years by providing expert oral board prep. Our examiners bring years of insight and experience.
- Exam Simulation: AAEM’s review course is ahead of the competition by using the same software platform as the ABEM Virtual Oral Examination.
- Learn the Virtual Format: AAEM’s course includes six single and two structured interview cases. The ABEM exam includes one structured interview case; AAEM’s course has two cases in this new format, providing you the additional practice with feedback.
- One-on-One Preparation: Your eight case encounters will be in a one-on-one examiner to participant ratio to best prepare you for the exam. You will receive valuable feedback immediately following each case encounter.
Why this Course?
Each year more than 2,000 residents graduate from the emergency medicine training programs. Most of these graduates seek board certification by ABEM or AOBEM as the next step in their professional development and to help them attain the position of a specialist in emergency medicine. It is a requirement of both the ABEM and AOBEM that each individual pass an oral board examination before board certification status is awarded.
Comments received on past evaluations show that many of these graduating residents, while extremely well-trained in the practice of emergency medicine, need additional instruction in the mechanics and format of oral board examinations. AAEM’s course is designed to meet these educational needs by providing a virtual review course format that replicates ABEM's Virtual Oral Examination.
Testimonials from Past Course Participants
- This course has definitely made me more comfortable with preparing for the oral board exam. I am now more confident; I have a strategy that will hopefully bring success and less anxiety on the test date.
- Great format! Mimics the actual boards.
- Talking through cases aloud and organizing my thoughts so that I can better "play the game" was very helpful. Feedback was constructive and reassuring.
- This course provides excellent preparation for the oral boards. I solidified my routine for the exam and gained innumerable pearls.
- This was a great confidence booster and showed me where I need to focus my time for my last month of studying.
- Incredibly helpful setting the scene and tempo of exam day. So nice to be able to go through the logistics and process of the virtual testing.
The American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Emergency Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Instructions for Claiming CME
A link to claim CME credits is included in the participant handout. For questions about CME, please contact Rebecca Sommer, Education Meetings Manager.
- What is the dress code?
The review course is designed to simulate the examination as closely as possibly. Although the review course does not require a specific dress code, it is recommended to dress appropriately for preparing yourself for the examination.
- What is the format of the course?
After an introductory session to familiarize participants with the ABEM/AOBEM oral board format, each candidate will be presented with six single-case and two structured interview case encounters. Instruction will be provided in one-on-one encounters with course faculty. Candidates will respond to examiners as they would to ABEM/AOBEM examiners. After each case, the candidate will receive immediate feedback from the examiner who may also offer suggestions for improvement. A debriefing session allows for an important overview of the exam experience and provides participants with helpful take-home points.
- I am already registered to attend the Oral Board Review Course, but now I unfortunately am unable to attend.
Due to the course’s high faculty-to-student ratio, refunds for cancellations will be authorized ONLY by written request received at least one month prior to the start date of the course and if a replacement registrant can be found. If a replacement registrant is found, a full refund of registration fees minus $100.00 (for the cost of the Pearls of Wisdom textbook and administrative fees) will be provided.
- Do I receive CME credit for attending?
A CME self-report link will be sent to attendees via email following the course. You may log-in and print your CME certificate at that time.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
Acceptable forms of payment include: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or check made payable to AAEM.