Oral Board Review Course
AAEM has over 25 years of successful experience in Oral Board preparation. AAEM examiners bring years of expert insight and experience to help you succeed.
Our course features six single standard patient case encounters and two structured interview case encounters, using the same software platform as the ABEM virtual Oral Certification Examination – providing you the advantage at the exam from your first case encounter!
Join 5400+ board eligible candidates who prepared for the Oral Board Certification Exam with AAEM.
- Experience: AAEM has been committed to being the leader in emergency medicine education for over 25 years by providing expert oral board prep. Our examiners bring years of insight and experience.
- Exam Simulation: AAEM’s review course is ahead of the competition by using the same software platform as the ABEM Virtual Oral Examination.
- Learn the Virtual Format: AAEM’s course includes six standard single-patient and two structured interview cases. Beginning in 2023, the ABEM exam includes two structured interview cases; AAEM’s course provides you with the necessary practice and feedback you need for the exam.
- One-on-One Preparation: Your eight case encounters will be in a one-on-one examiner to participant ratio to best prepare you for the exam. You will receive valuable feedback immediately following each case encounter.
- Case Feedback: Valuable feedback immediately follows each case encounter.
Why this Course?
Each year more than 2,000 residents graduate from the emergency medicine training programs. Most of these graduates seek board certification by ABEM or AOBEM as the next step in their professional development and to help them attain the position of a specialist in emergency medicine. It is a requirement of both the ABEM and AOBEM that each individual pass an oral board examination before board certification status is awarded.
Comments received on past evaluations show that many of these graduating residents, while extremely well-trained in the practice of emergency medicine, need additional instruction in the mechanics and format of oral board examinations. AAEM’s course is designed to meet these educational needs by providing a virtual review course format that replicates ABEM's Virtual Oral Examination.
Testimonials from Past Course Participants
- Great practice! Would definitely recommend!
- It was very much like the actual Oral Boards and the virtual set-up was essentially the same.
- I feel much better prepared and am glad I took the course.
- With the new Structured Interview cases, it was so helpful to have 2 of these new cases to practice and review the format.
- This course was very helpful; it seemed the closest thing to the real exam as I can find.
- This course has definitely made me more comfortable with preparing for the oral board exam. I am now more confident; I have a strategy that will hopefully bring success and less anxiety on the test date.
- These sessions were AMAZING! It was so helpful to be able to walk through everything as if it was the real test day.
- Receiving immediate feedback and hints/tips was invaluable.
- Great preparation for the anxious candidate. I have always been terrified of the oral board experience, but I feel much better about going in to the now virtual oral boards.
- Great format! Mimics the actual boards.
- This course provides excellent preparation for the oral boards. I solidified my routine for the exam and gained innumerable pearls.
- Incredibly helpful setting the scene and tempo of exam day. So nice to be able to go through the logistics and process of the virtual testing.
- So valuable to get real time feedback as to what went well and what can be improved upon.
- Great cases!
- Great preparation for the real boards
- I feel better prepared to take my test next month.
- Really good practice and showed me some areas that I needed to work on
- Talking through cases aloud and organizing my thoughts so that I can better "play the game" was very helpful. Feedback was constructive and reassuring.
- This was a great confidence booster and showed me where I need to focus my time for my last month of studying.
The American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Academy of Emergency Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the dress code?
The review course is designed to simulate the examination as closely as possibly. Although the review course does not require a specific dress code, it is recommended to dress business casual (suggested collared shirt).
- What is the format of the course?
After an introductory session to familiarize participants with the ABEM/AOBEM oral board format, each candidate will be presented with six standard single-patient case encounters and two structured interview case encounters. Instruction will be provided in one-on-one encounters with course faculty. Candidates will respond to examiners as they would to ABEM/AOBEM examiners. After each case, the candidate will receive immediate feedback from the examiner who may also offer suggestions for improvement. A debriefing session allows for an important overview of the exam experience and provides participants with helpful take-home points.
- I am already registered to attend the Oral Board Review Course, but now I unfortunately am unable to attend.
Due to the course’s high faculty-to-student ratio, refunds for cancellations will be authorized ONLY by written request received at least one month prior to the start date of the course and if a replacement registrant can be found. If a replacement registrant is found, a full refund of registration fees minus $100.00 (for the cost of the Pearls of Wisdom textbook and administrative fees) will be provided.
- Do I receive CME credit for attending?
A CME self-report link will be sent to attendees via email following the course. You may log-in and print your CME certificate at that time.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
Acceptable forms of payment include: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or check made payable to AAEM.