It's a challenging time for emergency physicians - AAEM recognizes that and were doing something about it.
- We protect your practice rights - we're actively working to address APP independent practice.
- Committee Formed and Position Statement Created
- Allied Health Membership Dissolved
- We joined the clear message being sent that #ThisIsOurLane. We are the front line providers, and we will be at the forefront of the solution, which is why we signed on to support AFFIRM.
- We're advocating for a solid future for our specialty - we're working with the newly formed EM Workforce Committee for a future with a balanced workforce.
- AAEM Position Statement on Balance Billing and Out of Network Charges (8/7/2019)
- Position Statement on the Role of Freestanding Emergency Centers in Natural Disaster (6/7/2019)
- What Is the Role of Intravenous and Intraoral Contrast in CT Evaluation of Acute Appendicitis? (6/7/2019)
- Should Antiemetics be Given Prophylactically with Intravenous Opioids While Treating Acute Pain in the Emergency Department? (Updated 6/7/2019)
- The Use of qSOFA in the Emergency Department (4/8/2019
- AAEM Position Statement on the Emergency Medicine Workforce (4/3/2019)
- Updated Position Statement on Advanced Practice Providers (1/29/2019)
- Included 20 directly provided programs,16 jointly provided programs, and 6 recommended meetings
- AAEM held the 25th Annual Scientific Assembly in Las Vegas, NV, with 1,179 attendees and continues to offer free registration to all members.
- Continued offering the Written Board Review Course in Orlando, FL to prepare 47 physicians to take the Qualifying or ConCertTM exam to earn/retain their board certification in emergency medicine.
- AAEM has provided the Oral Board Review Course since 1997. Our AAEM member examiners bring years of insight and experience to over 250 board eligible participants each year.
- Coordination of 24 residency program visits which included a clinical or practice management presentation and an AAEM informational talk.
- Extended residency sponsorships to 7 programs exposing 84 residents to AAEM’s core mission and values through the AAEM Founders Circle.
- The AAEM ED Management Solutions: Principles and Practice continued for its second year in New Orleans, LA, with 49 attendees.
- AAEM held a successful Xth MEMC Congress in Dubrovnik, Croatia with over 700 attendees from 44 different countries.
- The Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) worked in collaboration with AAEM to develop an emergency medicine focused perspective for their Advances in Cancer Immunotherapy Regional Education Programs which began in 2017 and will continue through 2019 and 2020.
AAEM and AAEM/RSA held the third Health Policy in EM Symposium followed by Advocacy Day where attendees met with congressional leaders to discuss issues of importance to emergency physicians.
AAEM/RSA was joined by AAEM in sending an open letter to the AMA calling for a public relations campaign in support of physician-led care teams. Additionally, AAEM/RSA created an educational infographic explaining the education and training of physicians versus APPs.
AAEM signed on to a joint letter to the AAEMC with 10 other EM organizations opposing further study or use of the Standardized Video Interview (SVI). The emergency medicine community was successful in their efforts to not continue the SVI for emergency medicine following the conclusion of the current pilot phase in early 2020.
AAEM and AAEM/RSA continued their partnerships with the Take 5 to Save Lives and National Physician Suicide Awareness Day (NPSA Day) campaigns to advocate for an end to physician suicide.
AAEM’s wellness committee also pursued physical wellness activities that inspired community and networking during the AAEM19 Scientific Assembly and included a coffee crawl, new attendee networking event, airway storytelling, and wellness meals.
The Emergency Ultrasound Section of AAEM (EUS-AAEM) continues to represent its member’s interests on the Society of Clinical Ultrasound Fellowship (SCUF) board, which has been tasked by ABEM to develop and execute the Advanced Emergency Medicine Ultrasound (AEMUS) Fellowship Program Accreditation process that will be rolled out within the next year.