What's New in 2018?
We’re bringing a new wave of fairness and transparency to EM with the AAEM Physician Group.
AAEM-PG is Bringing a New Era in Physician Group Management AAEM-PG is a national physician group that adheres to the values of AAEM and fosters a management setting based on fairness and transparency where each is an owner. AAEM-PG supports independent practices with financial and management resources. We believe the brightest future for EM physicians is when they own their practice.
We’re focusing on physician health with our new Wellness Committee.
This new committee focuses on studying root causes of burnout and promoting wellness and career longevity for AAEM members. They will be promoting best practices for wellness, resiliency, and minimizing burnout that will empower you and enable you to share with your colleagues. Your personal and professional welfare are our primary concern.
We’re engaging clinical interests with the new Critical Care Medicine Section and Emergency Ultrasound Section.
Critical Care Medicine Section
Critical care is an ever revolving field with major advances, and the goals for this section are to keep you up-to-date by writing guidelines or position statements, networking, developing a job database, and providing mentorship.We aim to engage your clinical interests.
Emergency Ultrasound Section
We are excited to announce the new Emergency Ultrasound Section of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (EUS-AAEM)! Our section is founded to foster the professional development of its members and to educate them regarding point of care ultrasound.
We’re increasing the value of your membership with new member benefits.
Emergency Physicians Insurance Exchange RRG (EPIX) – AAEM’s recommended carrier for all your insurance needs.
EvidenceCare – AAEM member discount for the only clinical decision support tool designed by an ER physician to enhance workflow and improve patient care.
We’re advancing our commitment to exceptional education with the new AAEM Online and our annual Scientific Assembly.
AAEM Online is a FREE member’s only benefit that allows you to access video and audio of the Scientific Assembly directly from the AAEM website. Download the files and watch on your own time.
- During the Emergency Department Evaluation of a Well Appearing Neonate with Fever, Should Empiric Acyclovir be Initiated? (7/10/17)
- What is the Role of Reversal Agents in the Management of ED Patients with Dabigatran-Associated Hemorrhage? (6/30/17)
- Can an Age-Adjusted D-Dimer be Used to Safely Rule Out Pulmonary Embolism in Emergency Department Patients? (3/20/17)
- Ultrasound for the Diagnosis and Management of Ureterolithiasis in the Emergency Department (3/17/17)
- What is the Preferred Resuscitation Fluid for Patients with Sepsis and Septic Shock? (3/17/17)
- tPA and Ischemic Stroke: Focused Update of 2010 Clinical Practice Advisory from the American
- Academy of Emergency Medicine (3/17/17)
- AAEM Position Statement on Oversight and Management of Emergency Medicine Residency Programs by Contract Management Groups (9/7/2017)
- AAEM Position Statement Regarding Mid-levels Ordering Tests (6/7/2017)
- AAEM Position Statement on Legislation Regarding Health Care Payment or Reform (07/07/2017)
New White Papers of AAEM
- AAEM White Paper on Acute Pain Management in the Emergency Department (10/24/2017)
- A Resource for Emergency Physicians on Balance Billing, Out-of-Network Fees and Surprise Bills from the Independent Practice Support Committee of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine – Official Paper of AAEM (7/7/2017)
New Member Benefits
- Emergency Physicians Insurance Exchange RRG (EPIX) – AAEM’s recommended carrier for all your insurance needs.
- EvidenceCare – AAEM member discount for the only clinical decision support tool designed by an ER physician to enhance workflow and improve patient care.
- Expanded podcast offerings that have achieved 75,000+ downloads.
- Implemented a strategic plan aimed at providing enhanced social media services for the membership – this has already resulted in additional staffing as well as featured weekly videos.
- Designed and began the institution of a new AAEM organizational logo and slogan.
- Included 23 directly provided programs,18 jointly provided programs, and 16 recommended meetings
- AAEM held the 23rd Annual Scientific Assembly in Orlando, FL, with almost 1,100 attendees and continued to offer free registration to all members.
- Continued offering the Written Board Review Course in Orlando, FL to prepare physicians to take the Qualifying or ConCert exam.
- The enhanced Oral Board Review Course offered attendees experience with the new eOral simulation software. AAEM has been granted a sub-license for use of eOral software identical to that used for the ABEM Oral Certification Examination. Case content is entirely that of AAEM.
- AAEM held a successful IXth MEMC-GREAT Joint Congress in Lisbon, Portugal with over 500 attendees from 45 different countries.
- Coordination of 30 residency program visits which included a clinical or practice management presentation and an AAEM informational talk.
- Extended residency sponsorships to 23 programs exposing over 500 residents to AAEM’s core mission and values through the AAEM Founders Circle.
- Initiated the design and development of a new comprehensive written board review course product option.
AAEM and AAEM/RSA included holding the first Health Policy in EM Symposium followed by the June Advocacy Day where attendees met with congressional leaders to discuss issues of importance to emergency physicians.
Active meetings with CMS and members of Congress to discuss expanding due process protection for emergency physicians.
AAEM/RSA Policy and Advocacy Congressional Elective opportunity, offered to all AAEM members
AAEM Increased their involvement in the following:
- Member of the Coalition Opposing Medical Merit Badges
- Participant in the EM Summit on Wellness and Resiliency
- Participant in the ABEM ConCert Summit