AAEM Board of Directors Election
AAEM encourages candidates for election to the board of directors who have a previous record of service and commitment to the Academy.
Any Academy member may nominate a full voting or YPS member (for the YPS director position only) for the board. You must be a YPS member to be eligible to run for the YPS director position. Self-nominations are allowed and encouraged.
Elections for these positions will be held at AAEM's 21st Annual Scientific Assembly, February 28-March 4, 2015, in Austin, TX. Although balloting arrangements will be made for those unable to attend the Assembly, all members will be encouraged to hold their votes until the time of the meeting.
The Scientific Assembly will feature a Candidates Forum, in which members will be able to directly question the candidates before casting their ballots. Winners will be announced during the conference, and those elected will begin their terms at the conclusion of the Assembly.
In order to nominate yourself or another full voting member for a board position, submit the nomination form to the AAEM office. Any YPS member can be nominated and elected to the YPS director position. The nomination form and required information is the same as that for a board position.
Required information includes the following:
- Name of nominee. Each nominee may have only three individuals as nominators/endorsers.
- Name of nominee’s medical school and year graduated.
- Board certification status of nominee, including Board and year completed.
- Number of ED clinical hours worked each week by the nominee.
- A candidate statement (written by the nominee, 500 word max.) listing recent AAEM contributions, accomplishments, activities or any other information detailing why the nominee should be elected to the board. A photo for publication may accompany the statement if the nominee wishes.
- Any emergency medicine related business activity in which the nominee has a financial interest.
- A current CV for the nominee.
- AAEM Attestation Statement filled out by the nominee.
- Conflict of Interest Form filled out by the nominee.
Nomination information will be available Fall 2014.
The candidate statements from all those running for the board will be featured in an upcoming issue of Common Sense and will be sent to each full voting and YPS member along with the ballot.
These election procedures are truly what make AAEM unique among professional medical associations. We believe the democratic principles that guide them are one of AAEM's greatest strengths and are a large part of making us the organization of specialists in Emergency Medicine. In AAEM, any individual full voting member can be nominated and elected to the board of directors.
Everything You Wanted to Know about Becoming an AAEM Board Director
These election procedures are truly what make AAEM unique among professional medical associations. We believe the democratic principles that guide them are one of AAEM's greatest strengths and are a large part of making us the organization of specialists in emergency medicine. In AAEM, any individual full voting member can be nominated and elected to the board of directors.